[MacTUG] Benchmarks/opinion regarding the two i7 minis.

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 27 09:42:26 EDT 2011

As I mentioned at the meeting, I am trying to figure out which of the two i7 mini would be the best configuration to recommend/get and why.

The first configuration would be the standard mini, with the 2.7Ghz dual i7 update, 8 GB of RAM and 750GB 7200 rpm drive for $1,193

The second configuration would be the server mini, with the 2.0Ghz quad i7, 8 GB of RAM and the 2x750GB 7200 rpm drives for $1,258

Price wise they are about the same, the additional $65 for the server gets one an additional 750GB drive so things work out.

I can't seem to find any benchmarks for the 2.7 Ghz i7 version of the mini to compare it to the 2.0Ghz server version.

I can find lots of discussion regarding 4 core vs 2 cores but nothing real world.

The other difference between these models is the video processor AMD HD 6630M vs Intel HD 3000, and once again I can't find much to guide me as to how much this matters, especially in the real world.

Has anyone seen such tests/comparisons?