[MacTUG] Machine base images

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Jan 18 10:56:21 EST 2011

On 2011-01-18, at 10:48 AM, Dani Roloson wrote:

>> - we have  iMacs and an older Mac Mini; an image built on the iMac runs
>> fine on that mini
>
> The iMacs have iSight and the Mac minis have HDMI output.
> Would both drivers exist on a 10.6.6 base image regardless of machine
> used to create it?

Yes.  All drivers are on the latest OS.  They are dynamically load and unloaded as needed.

>> - but if you try to run an image built on older hardware on a newer
>> machine of a different type - not so good
>
> Sorry I should have said "most recent hardware after a combo update".
>
>> - and as Steve has pointed out - use a combo release built later than
>> your oldest hardware
>
> I think you meant newest hardware.
>
> Dani

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu