[MacTUG] Meeting On Tuesday Feb. 22

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 17 10:49:01 EST 2011

I have a med appointment that morning so I will be having to miss most of it. As I will not be there, I will share my thoughts about extending the time now.

I support the rationale for this for a number of reasons and I have been thinking about some issues relating to mactug for a while now. I think one of the reasons that we are needing more time is that we are having a lot more to discuss, and I can think of at least a couple of reasons for this:
1) the Mac is now more dominant on the UW campus than it has ever been (or at least for the last few decades).
2) Mac management has gotten more complex -- eg golden/magic triangles, etc. and there is important information sharing around these issues
3) I think we should start setting aside some time every now and then to formalize some discussions around this. Marlon suggested this a while ago around the whole authenticating Macs to AD issue, and we really did not go anywhere with that. I think we should. I think those that are doing it (I would be willing to coordinate it) should take half an hour and do talk through the issues. I know that this could be an IST Friday morning seminar, but lets face it 99% of the people interested in it are in MacTug.

And lastly...
4) I have told people that MacTug is one of the most successful groups that I have been in on campus. I think one reason is that it is we like getting together, we enjoy the meetings, we have known each other for a long time, and (despite any teasing) we value each others opinions and insights. Having said all that, I think one problem that we sometimes have is we get too sidetracked and unfocused and maybe try to squeeze in a few too many laughs! Maybe we 'get along' too well ;-P I enjoy all of that, but it does run the clock out and can really siderail the topics. Of course this is a nerdy enough group that I can quote "with great power comes great responsibility", and not have to reference it, haha. Macs on campus have gone from being something that was almost viewed as redundant (in the pre-iMac 90's), to the OS that is the only OS that is really growing (and that is not counting iOS). I could see OS X becoming the dominant OS on this campus and I think that needs us to step up to the plate.

So I support Richard's idea of extending it to 11:00 if we need it, but I would like us to stay a bit more on track and see if we can finish up by 10:30. For sure, I will commit to staying until 11 if we are needing it, but I hope that we use that time.

And yes, I like Glenn's idea of using Connect to book these meetings, that totally makes sense.

don

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see: http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/ <http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/>
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.