[MacTUG] Symantec LiveUpdate - configuring

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 8 09:06:52 EST 2011

Hi Mike, the issue was/is that when Symantec does an update, it requires admin username/password -- which obviously the lab users should not have ;-)

So even if the updates were set frequently, there is not going to be any updates happen to the virus definitions, just frustrated users who have dialog boxes pop up that they cannot authenticate.  That is why that strategy was taken, as the updates were never going to happen anyhow.

Now I have not studied Glenn's info he just mailed to the list, where he states you can get it to do an update without requiring authentication. It was overkill for Symantec to require authentication for updates to virus defns, so if there is a workaround, then that would be great.

Symantec is really not a great package on the mac, it is a terrible resource hog, and hard to administer, and the benefits mainly seem to be (knock on wood) minimizing the spread of Windows viruses. Unlike user-focused applications (like Office, Adobe products, etc), I do not really see the benefit of using the same anti-virus package on the Mac as the PC uses. Especially when the packages behave differently on both platforms. I am sure there are some economies of scale that may be argued, but given that some users at MacTUG have talked about great free Mac Anti-Virus packages, there may not be any economies of scale.

When that license comes up, I think we should request having a bit of input on Mac experiences with Symantec.