[MacTUG] UW Emerge on the Macs

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Feb 1 09:27:23 EST 2011

Yes you can manage login items with Workgroup manager but on a computer or computer group basis.  Doesn't work with Users or groups.  Think you want computer anyway from what I have seen so far on this thread, but maybe mistaken as not sure what Emerge is.

If it's a command line application you can incorporate into either login hook (See Scripts image below) or create a simple Applescript to launch the shell command which get include with items.  This need to be present on the base image so it can be run at login.

Example screenshot…
Name: pastedgraphic-1.jpg
Type: image/jpg
Size: 79513 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Regards,

Steve

On 2011-02-01, at 8:52 AM, Donald Duff-McCracken wrote:

> Regarding Marlon's comments about having it start with login, I don't
> think you should need to use cron or launchd, just having it as a 'login
> item' should suffice, should it not? In a lab environment I can have this
> controlled by WorkGroup Manager.
>
> On 11-01-31 3:14 PM, "Marlon A. Griffith" <m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I spoke to Erick. He said that emergestart just starts the connection
>> process to the emergency service. He did not know of a way to have it
>> start for everyone who logs in, on a mac. If you know of a way, then just
>> use that.
>>
>> I would suggests Apple's cron replacement, whose name escapes me at the
>> moment.
>>
>> By the way, Ian is correct wrt the"go to the web page" stuff.
>>
>> Marlon
>>

>> On 31/01/11 2:48 PM, Ian Turner wrote:
>>> I didn't put it in the labs, but for our manually managed staff
>>> machines, I installed it, and gave them the instructions to add it to
>>> their login
>>>
>>> I did do the "go to the web page" stuff, but it was ONLY to get the test
>>> for "verify a test message gets here" on a couple of machines

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/locator/