[MacTUG] UW Emerge on the Macs

Guillermo Fuentes gfuentes at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 12 11:09:12 EST 2011

Hello all,
A couple of weeks ago we got a notification from IST about some of our Macs connecting to emerge.uwaterloo.ca at a high rate. It turned out to be the Emerge client running multiple times as a result of not being killed after the user's logoff. I was using the "Login Items" way of running it.As a temporary workaround, I added a command to the LogoutHook to kill all the emerge processes when the user logoff.
I found a simple and more convenient way (at least for me) of running the Emerge client. It's running it as a Launchd Agent. This way it runs on the user's context whenever a user logs on, and it stops when the user logs off. Easy to package and I've tested it on Snow Leopard and Lion.It only requires:- the emergecli program on /Applications/emergecli- and the launchd.plist file on /Library/LaunchAgents/ca.uwaterloo.EmergeD.plist (content of this file at the end of the email.)
As I was told this was a campus wide issue, I just wanted to share what I found.
Cheers,Guillermo