[MacTUG] FYI: 10.6 on 2011 model minis

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 25 09:03:24 EDT 2011

I came across this comment and thought it might be of interest to areas getting new mini's but wanting to keep the OS version as 10.6 to match others in the area.
Aug. 24, 2011
2011 Models

MacInTouch Reader

We have confirmed that you can, in fact, run 10.6.8 on the new 2011 Mac Minis, but you can't use 10.6.3 to boot from. You need to have a patched 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 drive to boot from, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy over a patched image of 10.6.8 onto the Mac Mini. Works well so far. May not work at optimum speed - at least it loads and doesn't crash.