[MacTUG] Mac email: no choice for Exchange 2010

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu Sep 30 13:14:06 EDT 2010

Select Exchange 2007 that is unless your supporting (have turned on IMAP on the exchange server).
Basically it just the method we discover the server and ports used. Exchange 2010 doesn't change anything in that way.

Note may only work internally.  If you wanted email access outside university/company you exchange server might be firewalled.
This is where ActiveSync protocol comes in to play or use of standards based IMAP.

Really depends on what the IT policy is for access to server in and out of the local LAN.

For example UOIT blocks all access and you have to VPN into University LAN to gain access to University servers. Exception is made for ActiveSync Devices like Apple iOS device, Windows Mobile devices and Android (2.1+) devices and separate server for BlackBerry BES server.

Cheers,
Steve

On 2010-09-30, at 7:58 AM, Glenn Anderson wrote:

> Under Mac email ( OS 10.6.4 ) , there is no option for Exchange 2010. The Exchange choices are "Exchange 2007" and "Exchange IMAP" as shown below:
>
> <Screen shot 2010-09-30 at 10.44.40 AM.png>
>
> The lack of an Exchange 2010 option is likely to confuse some users, and they may choose Exchange IMAP ( which I don't think we want them to ).
>
> Does anyone know if there really is any difference between setting up an Exchange 2007 vs an Exchange 2010 connection? or will Exchange 2007 be just "fine"._______________________________________________
> MacTUG mailing list
> MacTUG at lists.uwaterloo.ca

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu