[MacTUG] Spotlight and SEP and Remote home directories

Ian Turner iturner at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 20 13:30:24 EDT 2010

we have Symantec set to scan/protect ONLY the local drive, because it
was causing too much latency with network home directories - ie we would
get "bogus" "unable to save". especially  an MS Office document - the
"protection" was preventing a "write acknowledgement" before the timeout

We had previously (a long time ago) been concerned that spotlight might
"go wild" - more in terms of space it might chew up, but the only
incident I can recall was an apocryphal instance where one of our
superpower admins had a symlink in his home directory - to the root of
all user home directories!  then "wild" was an understatement