[MacTUG] NBI to DVD?

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Mon May 17 15:28:11 EDT 2010

Some suggestions below Dani....

On 2010-05-17, at 12:46 PM, Dani Roloson wrote:

> I'm trying to get a Mac mini out of the box to netboot from
> a server on a different subnet.

Open up terminal after booting from included Mac OS X installer DVD... (see Utilities menu)

Then type:

bless --netboot --server bsdp://[tcp/ip address of your netboot server]
Reboot

> Can I somehow burn the NetBoot Image (nbi) from the server to a DVD
> that is bootable?

nbi (Netboot image) file is not a suitable disk for DVD or drive booting. Just netbooting.

If you note netbooting then how about creating a boot drive using DeployStudio Assistant with all your settings to access your images?

Name: PastedGraphic-1.png
Type: image/png
Size: 154915 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

OR try different way to netboot...

Boot into single user mode from hard drive and preinstalled OS.
	-> command + s

Kick start the Network
	-> /sbin/mount -uw /
	-> cd /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
	-> launchctl load com.apple.configd.plist

?Bless? command to send client to specific Netboot Server
	-> bless --netboot --server bsdp://x.x.x.x   (Where x.x.x.x is the TCP/IP address of your netboot server)

Netboot across subnets
	-> reboot -q

Note: We demonstrated a barcode scanner entering above strings at our Tech Series seminar which made the process faster and without typing errors.

OR

Put your netboot server on that subnets. A server can be on multiple subnets with multiple Ethernet interfaces.

Lots of choices.

Steve

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Training Websites
http://training.apple.com/
http://www.witzapplecertifiedtraining.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
tel:1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support for individual consumers)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/macosxserver_sw_supt.html

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://www.apple.ca/buy/locator/
Select Service Locations from pull down menu