[MacTUG] FYI: Changes to our Active Directory and Macs...

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 30 12:11:13 EDT 2010

Ya I would love to help too.

don

On 10-03-30 12:06 PM, "Matthew Oliver" <m3oliver at engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> I'd love to be involved in testing the new AD.
> I should be able to make a couple client machines available to test on.
>

> Let me know,
> -Matt
>
> On 2010-03-30, at 9:08 AM, Erick Engelke wrote:
>

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Ian Turner wrote:
>> that's fine, but what we are discussing / concerned about, is whether ANYONE
>> needs / wants / has requested the Apple schema extensions, documented in the
>> attachment - because we are concerned that including them in the Active
>> Directory Schema will break the Magic Triangle / link with the Open Directory
>> for all of us using it
>
> The active directory consolidation project report will discuss a lot of
> varied topics - because a lot is riding on this.
>
> It specifically mentions Macs and currently recommends we use Open
> Directory in the Magic Triangle to support macintoshes.  We feel O.D.
> offers a good solution, and we don't want to do anything to break it.
>
> I had some Emails with Don in ES about how he's using Open Directory, and
> he mentioned Mathew's work too.  My belief is - if the magic triangle is
> working with Nexus today, it should work with our future active directory.
>
> On a side note: 64 bit nexus domain controllers have been orderred, and in
> about two months we will be moving nexus to Windows Server 2008 R2.  First
> we will use them in nexustest, a separate active directory used just for
> testing.  If all works fine, we will move them to the real nexus.
>
> I imagine someone doing open directory would want to be involved while we
> do our testing - in a couple of weeks.
>
> Erick

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environmental Studies
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.