[MacTUG] Acrobat Pro on managed macs

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 18 15:42:13 EDT 2010

Ya I saw that one (man I have been reading to many 'help me get acrobat
running' postings these days), and I have not tried it as there are too many
differences in my situation to make it not apply to me:
1) It is a different symptom, Acrobat Pro is not crashing on me, just
insisting on an admin password to install stuff I do not want
2) This issue is also referring to network accounts, and I have my macs
setup as mobile accounts (and I think this is significant to this persons
situation)
3) It has to do with Acrobat 9 and
    a) there are differences between Acrobat 8 and 9 issues (in fact
       there are differences between solutions for 8.0 and 8.13)
    and
    b) hell will freeze over before I pay one red cent to Adobe for an
       Acrobat Pro upgrade!!!

As I have gone through all the things that we use Acrobat Pro for, I realize
that my other tools can do 99.9% of them. Preview has gotten pretty powerful
for merging PDFs and deleting/rearranging pages, and Photoshop and
Illustrator can handle the printing oversized PDFs in tiled output. The only
other thing some students use Acrobat Pro for is for Creating form-based
PDFs and the occasion form-based PDF that does not format well in Preview.
But these needs are rare and can be accomodated in a PC lab that has Acrobat
Pro. (It is a sad day when Adobe software can install easier on a windows
box. This whole Acrobat thing has made me believe "big Steve's" rants about
Adobe becoming a 'lazy' company and treating Macs as a second class
citizen.)

But thanks for getting back, Dani! Please do not take any of my hostility as
directed towards you or you suggestions, Adobe is really in my bad books
these days. To the point where I am chaning my mind about CS5.

If any one else has any suggestions, let me know, and I promise I will try
to contain my anti-adobe spittle, haha. I am formally stopping pursuing
trying to fix this unless
1) I get a lead from you guys (that may be hard)
2) My boss tells me to waste more time on this (unlikely!)

Thanks...
don

On 10-06-18 1:52 PM, "Dani Roloson" <daroloso at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/300239
>
> I plan to try the one at the bottom some time.
>
> Dani

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environmental Studies
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.