[MacTUG] OS X password length limit... not eight characters?

Daniel Allen drallen at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 13 16:40:49 EST 2010

Googling "OS X password length" finds me the only official Apple
support document that seems to mention password length:

Mac OS X: Effective Password Length of Eight Characters
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20725

Is there an effective limit? We're updating our password-changing
process, and our Active Directory seems to accept 75+ character
passwords without a problem. Preliminary checks seem to suggest the
macs are fine with 90-character passwords, but I haven't tested many
of the uses (eg, keychain).

I'd mostly like to rule out some weird circumstance where the limit
was still 8 characters (Leopard onward).

Thanks,
-Daniel