[MacTUG] Golden Triangle Woes with 10.5 clients on 10.6 server

Ian Turner iturner at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 29 20:28:34 EDT 2010

ours may be different, because we NEVER "bind" to OD, we just "link"

and it was critical for us that AD be first in the custom search path
for authentication, because we don't have any user accounts in OD; and
we ONLY have the AD domain in the contacts custom search path

The issue we had with Leopard and OD (also with Snow Leopard) was the
Posix compliant (I think) change to Open SSL/Open LDAP.  We use SSL to
encrypt traffic between the client and OD server ( a tick box when you
set up the link to OD)

Tiger was "promiscuous" and accepted any cert.  Starting with Leopard,
they went to the other extreme, by default.  So, if the server is
"there" the light would go "green", but we couldn't communicate.

I think we "reverted" to the old behaviour( instead of having to have
each server cert propagated to all the clients), and if I remember, the
change is in /etc/openldap/lddap.conf  ( we found this with google
somehow, and I probably have a pointer to the article at the office)

change TLS_REQCERT always  (or somesuch)
to TLS_REQCERT  never

We haven't really tried deployStudio to "join"  - I seem to have heard
mixed results, and I know my script works, and by running it in bulk
through ARD, I can see any problems

Ian