[MacTUG] An e-mail problem

Richard Crispin rcrispin at sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 8 16:24:10 EDT 2010

I have come across this twice on the newer iMacs and as yet have not found a solution. My next step is to reformat the machine and reinstall everything. This I would rather not do but that may be the only possibility.

The Issue
Apple Mail suddenly stops accepting the password. Even if the password is in the keychain. It will ask and ask and ask and you always get the error that the password is wrong. Using web to do mail works fine.

What I have Tried
I deleted the keychain and recreated it. Doesn't help.
I backed up the e-mail and deleted it. Created a new e-mail. Doesn't help.
I created a new user and set up the e-mail. Doesn't help.
I reinstalled the OS (Leopard and Snow Leopard). Doesn't help.
I have checked on Apple and on Web for solutions. There is an old report from 10.1 and 10.2 indicating this behaviour but nothing for 10.5 or 10.6

Before trying anything else I am hoping someone here can point me to an easier solution than wiping the machine, creating the accounts and reinstalling everything.

Richard