[MacTUG] Searching for a special cable

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 8 09:27:28 EDT 2010

Hi

It may cause Steve H. to shudder for me to suggest this non-Apple solution,
but have you ever used stuff from monoprice? I think the place is awesome.

If this is what you are looking for
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=104
1912&p_id=4851&seq=1&format=2
They cost $7 each (and about $5 in orders of 50 or more)

If I am not understanding the cable you are looking for, likely they have
one that you would want. They also have minidisplayport to dvi which I have
a few of.

Monoprice stuff seems pretty good. I have bought a few of their adapters.
They are not as pretty as the mac stuff but it works and seems robust
enough. I also buy all my personal cables from them (HDMI, firewire,
component, etc) as they are really cheaply priced (Monster Cables makes my
blood pressure rise so much I will try to not think of them right now) and
their shipping to canada is really reasonable. If you are ordering only a
few things from them they ship in an envelope using USPS and so the shipping
costs will only be a few bucks. For example I needed a couple of 15' usb to
usb-mini cables (to charge some PS3 controllers while they are in use), and
with shipping the total for 2 of them is about $8! At some point the weight
gets too much for them to ship with USPS "Air Parcel" and then it goes to
"International" so you may find that ordering that one extra cable causes
shipping to bump up by 100%. I have in a few cases even ordered 2 shipments
as the shipping is less. For really big orders, which is what I would guess
you would want, the shipping becomes affordable again. For really big orders
I would try to get them to still ship with USPS, as it will avoid brokerage
costs which will happen if you go with UPS which may look to be cheaper.

As I said, I think their product is fine, but since they can affordably ship
you a couple of their cables, I suggest you order a few and try them out
before you order 256 of them or whatever your number of minis was. I do not
want you to not like them and have to hear you grouse about them, haha. (Or
I may have one kicking around here you could borrow for a while (or swap for
an official one for longer term use.

don

On 10-04-07 5:36 PM, "Dani Roloson" <daroloso at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> The MacCuff mini
> http://www.sonnettech.com/PRODUCT/maccuffmini.html
> comes with a
>  33cm (13") mini-DVI to VGA cable
> but I'd like a
>  33cm (13") mini-DVI to DVI cable
> or
>  33cm (13") mini-DisplayPort to DVI cable
>
> Any sources?
>
> Dani
> MFCF

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environmental Studies
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.