[MacTUG] MS Remote Desktop Connection license expiry?

Stephen Markan smarkan at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 11 21:36:04 EDT 2009

Seems you have to fully uninstall and then delete the file I suggested....

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=4913

WAF - Fixing Connection Problems

This document explains how to resolve problems connecting to the WAF from
Windows or Mac OS X.

WAF Connection Problems

Windows or Mac users may experience problems connecting to the WAF if the
Terminal Server Client Access License (CAL) of the Remote Desktop Client
becomes corrupted.

Possible error messages

The remote session was disconnected because the local computer's client
access license could not be upgraded or renewed. Please contact the server
administrator.
The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the
licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or
contact your server administrator.
The remote session was disconnected because there were network problems
during the licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer
again.
A licensing error occurred while the client was attempting to connect.
(Licensing timed out.) Please try connecting to the remote computer again.
The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server
client access licenses available for this computer. Please contact the
server administrator.
The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server
License Servers available to provide a license. Please contact the server
administrator.
Because of a security error, the client could not connect to the terminal
server. After making sure that you are logged on to the network, try
connecting to the server again.
Windows Instructions

Open the Windows Registry Editor by entering the command regedit32.exe in
the Run command box under the Start Menu.
Navigate to the Registry Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing
Delete the MSLicensing key and its subkeys.
Reboot the computer.
Mac Instructions

Uninstall the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client completely.
Reboot the computer.
Remove the Terminal Server license by deleting the contents of the
/Users/Shared/Microsoft/RDC Crucial Server Information/RDC GLOBAL DATA
directory.
Reboot the computer.
Re-install the Remote Desktop Connection client.