[MacTUG] Mailing issues

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Fri Sep 26 08:21:01 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

Some things to try/check....
1) Make sure you have the updated manual. Apple updates the server
manuals and post to here:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/resources/

Specifically for mail:
http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/Mail_Service_Admin_v10.5_2nd_Ed.pdf

2) Make sure the the firewall is NOT set to block port 2003 UDP & TCP.

3) Try a test (internally) to see if it answering on sju-
serv1.uwaterloo.ca

On the sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca Mail -> Settings -> Advanced tab, ensure
you have IMAP set to allow 'PLAIN' as well as 'Clear' Authentication.
(Make note of previous setting so you can set it back after this test).

Then Start the mail services from Server Admin.

Then in terminal try: telnet localhost 2003

You should see something like...

Trying...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
"SIEVE" "<some settings text here>"
"STARTTLS"
OK

I noted all mail is going through mxer.uwaterloo.ca.  It's the only
Mail Exchange server listed a uwaterloo.ca.
So you can't get mail directly from internet it will always come via
mxer.uwaterloo.ca or other internal servers it knows about.

Also remember to use Postfix-style alias (username at domain_name) not
the Mac OS X style aliases are easy to make and are listed with a
user’s login name. The Postfix-style are the only kind sieve
understands.

Hope some of this helps.

Steve

On 25-Sep-08, at 9:59 AM, Richard Crispin wrote:

> Hi All
> The xserve mailer does not work nicely with nexus web mail so I am
> trying to set up some of the features separately. One of the things I
> need to activate is sieve. I think I have it configured correctly
> based
> on the manual. When i try to run sieve I get the error that it cannot
> connect to the server. The command I am using is
> sieve --user=glombard --authname=sysadmin sju-serv1.uwaterloo.ca
>
> This should launch the sieve shell and let me manipulate the scripts
> for
> glombard. What happens is I get a request for a password twice and
> then
> the error cannot connect. The mail service is on sju-serv1 but the
> open
> direcotory server is on sju-serv3.uwaterloo.ca with a replica on sju-
> serv1
>
> I am a bit lost as to how to proceed from here. Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Richard
>
> --
> Richard Crispin
> Information Systems Admin   e-mail:rcrispin at sju.uwaterloo.ca
> St. Jerome's University     phone:Days (519)884-8111 ext. 28260
> 290 Westmount Rd. N         FAX:(519)725-0015
> Waterloo, Ont.  N2L 3G3
> Canada
> ---
> When I die I'd like to die the way my grandfather died, peacefully in
>    his sleep...      ... not screaming and shouting, like his
> passengers.
> "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!" Archibald Asparagus,
> VeggieTales
> "Time, heat and pressure.
>   The same things that make a diamond also make a waffle." Scott Meyer
> "Every morning is the dawn of a new error." unknown

Steve Hellyer
Pre-Sales Systems Engineer
Education Division (Higher Education)
Apple Canada Inc.
7495 Birchmount Rd.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
L3R 5G2

PH: (905)513-5647
Mailto: shellyer at apple.com or Mailto: phasetwo at apple.com

Apple Training website
http://training.apple.com/

AppleCare Online Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/

AppleCare Technical Phone Support
1-800-263-3394  (basic up and running support)

AppleCare Enterprise Level Support
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

AppleCare Service Locations (Canada)
http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html