[MacTUG] Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD won't install on a MacBook

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Fri May 2 07:49:05 EDT 2008

Hi Glenn,

Yes that can bit confusing.  I'll try to explain.  There is a central
core OS development team and then each hardware product OS development
team as well.  The hardware product development team develops the
specific drivers & OS changes to handle changes in hardware. The OS
will dynamically load or not load drivers at boot time. The most
current hardware has an OS which has drivers to handle the new
hardware plus any previous supported machines.  The installer that
comes with that new hardware will check to make sure your not trying
to use that installer on older/other hardware.

If you go to "About this Mac" under the Apple Menu you will see the
version number.  If you click on the version number you will see the
Build number.  There can be several builds of each version number.
Click on it again and you will get the hardware serial number.
Quite often (but not always) you see build number change with a
software update (depends on type of update).

Major changes to OS from core team result in the .X (eg 10.5.3)
updates it incorporate all the changes from previous .x release. The
hardware team changes also get rolled in to these major updates. (I
think in windows world this would be called a service pack.)

Hope this helps!

Steve