[MacTUG] Time Machine question

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Thu Mar 27 12:12:49 EDT 2008

Hi Glen,

I would not trust that time machine backup.  Clearly there is
something wrong with the source and time machine may have backupd the
problem.

First I would run DiskWarrior to see if it just a filing system error
on the internal drive.  That might fix the problem.
If it does I would clear the time machine backup and start that new.

If this doesn't fix the problem.
I would perform a Carbon copy clone to an external firewire drive.
Clean install of 10.5 on internal and then when it asks if you want to
migrate plug in the external drive and have the install pick up the
setting from the external drive Will look like another MAc in target
disk mode).  Migration walks through the setting rather than just
coping them.

You will like need to enter any serial number for application the
person has when running them on the new system.

Other issues to watch for when moving from 10.4 to 10.5.  Check
Plugins are current.  Quicktime add ons, Safari add ons. Mail Plugins
etc..

Good luck,

Steve