[MacTUG] FYI: AirPort Firmware 7.3.1 brings Time Machine over AirDisk back

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 20 09:23:06 EDT 2008

Timemachine backups to an Airport disk is now back it appears.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080319164615521

AirPort Firmware 7.3.1 brings Time Machine over AirDisk back -- really

Last week we erroneously reported Apple quietly reinstated the
ability to use Time Machine for AirPort-connected USB disks
("AirDisks"), with AirPort Update 2008-001. That update allowed
AirPort-connected disks to show up as volumes in Time Machine for
some, the actual backup functionality did not work.

It now seems that Apple has added this functionality with AirPort
Extreme Firmware 7.3.1, which can be applied via AirPort Utility
after Time Machine and AirPort Updates 1.0 is applied.

So, apply AirPort Update 2008-001, install Time Machine and AirPort
Updates 1.0, then launch AirPort Utility (in /Applications/
Utilities). You should be automatically prompted to update to
firmware 7.3.1. If not, choose "Manual Setup" then choose "Upload
Firmware" from the Base Station menu.

In-house, we're backing up to an AirPort Extreme-connected disk i
Time Machine as we write this article.

Early, pre-release builds of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) included the
ability to use Time Machine with USB disks connected to AirPort
Extreme Base stations. That feature was mysteriously removed in the
final release, making way for the Time Capsule, which offers similar
functionality. At the time, we conjectured that Leopard was released
with known AirPort disk connection reliability issues.

Glenn Anderson
Client Services, IST
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, On