[MacTUG] MacBook Air with external monitor, problems with wireless network

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 17 14:19:36 EDT 2008

I have come across a problem with a user with a MacBook Air with an
external monitor attached having speed issue with their wireless
network connection.

Apparently, this is fairly common. For example, here is someone
else's description of the problem...

"I have an MB Air, connected to a Apple 20" display.

With the external display connected, the wireless traffic slows to
crawl. So slow that file shares behave erratically and even display
of apple.com takes a minute.

Why? I have no clue, but it does. Remove the external display , all
is perfect. Plug it in again, network traffic slow."

----

The solution to this situation is to change the channel on the
wireless base. Channel 3 seems to be the most recommended one.

When the person above tried Channel 3 everything worked. Here is
their reply to the forum discussion on this

"I changed the wireless channel and all is well. Linksys WRTG54G was
on channel 13, now on channel 3.

Strange. I had identical physical setup with my Macbook Pro and no
issues at all."

Glenn Anderson
Client Services, IST
University of Waterloo