[MacTUG] Vanishing files in NFS mounts

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 30 10:17:45 EST 2008

Hi Ian,

I found this last night and thought it may help understand what we discussed yesterday.

Marlon
----------------------

After yesterday's WWDC session on Network Home Directories, two
different people asked me if I had seen an issue with NFS mounts
where a user would have a folder open, showing contents of items on
an NFS share somewhere, and when they'd click on a item in the Finder
window, it would just disappear.

As it turns out, we did see this issue about a year ago. It was quite
confusing and frustrating. It seemed to be a Finder issue, because
the items were still visible and accessible in the Terminal. We found
that relaunching the Finder would cause the folder to regain all its
items, but that was rather annoying. Finally, by accident, I
discovered the cause and came up with a workaround.

http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/vanishing-files-in-nfs-mounts/