[MacTUG] afp over ssh on the client?

Steve Hellyer phasetwo at apple.com
Tue Apr 29 15:38:20 EDT 2008

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6742739

> Does that mean that clients can now connect securely?

I suppose depends on your definition of securely. We no longer use
cleartext password on AFP as an option (Yeah!).

Kerberoes mechanism is preferred for security but this requires a
server & DNS and getting ticket from server.
Really wanted to move away from SSH as it slows performance especially
on slow links (IE over internet) plus other reasons. VPN is much
faster technology and then all traffic is secured over that virtual
pipe not just AFP.

Client to Client is password encryption. Don't see SSH being a viable
option in this situation as we need to open terminal access.
We are open to suggestions. One that works via NAT gateways, doesn't
require terminal access, static IPs, etc...

More info...
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Networking/Conceptual/AFP/Concepts/chapter_2_section_5.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol for a good overview.

Hope this helps!