[MacTUG] Problem with nexus on our Xserve

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 25 13:50:24 EDT 2007

Hi Richard,

Here is some info, I was able to dig up on MacFixit. It may or may not help:

a)
OS X Server and sendmail problems: a fix     Aristedes Maniatis writes:

     "As you may be aware, there are problems with AppleMailServer
under OS X Server. One is that sendmail, as configured in OS X
Server, does not pass mail correctly onto the AppleMailServer for
local delivery, instead delivering into /var/mail, as is normal for
sendmail/procmail.

     What's more, Apple did not include the sendmail.mc file which
makes it easy for an administrator to configure sendmail for their
own needs. Including only the sendmail.cf is almost useless unless
you are one of a very very small group who actually understand the
whole thing. Sendmail.mc is the recommended and standard way of
configuring sendmail.

     So, I have created that file and posted,
http://www.ish.com.au/solutions/sendmailOSX.html,  a full set of
instructions on how to fix the broken sendmail configuration (as well
as how to install qpopper and avoid the ugliness of the
AppleMailServer entirely). I also posted this to the Apple OSX Server
list and had several replies confirming that it worked.

b)
Apple Security Update 2005-003 (#3): Apple pulls Mac OS X server
version of update; Site compatibility problems within Safari

Apple pulls Security Update 2005-003 for Mac OS X Server Likely
because of the severe issues affecting IMAP and APOP e-mail service
(caused by a modification to the Cyrus mail service component of OS X
server) reported here on MacFixIt yesterday, Apple appears to have
pulled Security Update 2005-003 for Mac OS X Server.

No word has yet surfaced on when a revised update will be released.

In the meantime, if you are one of the users who applied Security
Update 2005-003 to Mac OS X Server 10.3.8 and are experiencing
adverse reactions, follow the procedure in our tutorial "Reverting to
an earlier version of Mac OS X," applying all updates through Mac OS
X 10.3.8, excluding Security Update 2005-003 (which will no longer
appear in Software Update anyhow).

One typical manifestation of the APOP/IMAP problems reported
yesterday is described in a report from MacFixIt reader Jason Self:

"I applied the Security Updated 2005-003 to my copy of Mac OS X
Server 10.3.8. Disk permissions were repaired before and after.

"My server is no longer delivering mail. It had been configured to
use Procmail using the directions from
http://www.afp548.com/articles/Panther/procmail.html.

"Now messages are queueing up in the Postfix queue with the error
"temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect to lmtpd:
Connection refused_ procmail: Program failure (75) of
'/usr/bin/cyrus/bin/deliver'"

Make it a great day!
Marlon A. Griffith
Engineering Computing
University of Waterloo
519-885-1211 x38146
m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca

The information in this message, including any attachments, is
privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for
the person(s) named above.  Any other distribution, copying or
disclosure is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original
transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a
copy.  Thank you