[MacTUG] FYI: Adobe CS3 apps refuse to register/activate

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 17 09:02:04 EDT 2007

The following appeared today on MacFixIt's site.

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 07:04 AM PDT

Adobe CS3 apps refuse to register/activate: iTunes update to blame?
Readers are reporting an issue where Adobe CS3 applications refuse to
register, in some cases delivering the error message that the
applications have already been registered to "Mac Vegas," --
apparently an internal Adobe build/development name.
One reader writes:
"I have installed both an Adobe CS3 Design Premium and Standard on
freshly imaged Macs. I have used retail pressed Adobe media as well
as their disk images directly from Adobe's FTP download location. In
each case, after registering the suite and supplying my serial
number, Adobe Acrobat did not have our serial number information in
its about window, while the rest of the application suite is properly
registered. [...] We are trying to create a deployment package for
the new release of Adobe CS3 Design Premium software - as part of our
overall deployment planning and testing processes and we obviously we
don't want to create a package with a serial number that may expire
and render our copies of Acrobat & Distiller useless."
Meanwhile, we've received some indication that an iTunes update
(perhaps 7.3.1) may have somehow had a breaking effect on the Adobe
activation scheme.
If you are experiencing a similar issue (inability to activate Adobe
CS3 apps), please let us know.

Glenn Anderson
Client Services, IST
University of Waterloo