[MacTUG] FYI: Microsoft betas RDC for Mac 2.0

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 3 09:36:36 EDT 2007

Microsoft betas RDC for Mac 2.0

By Stephen Withers
Thursday, 02 August 2007
A beta release of Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac
2.0 gives users a preview of what's ahead for the remote access tool.

RDC for Mac allows Mac OS X users to operate a Windows-based computer
across a network.

RDC 2.0 is a Universal Binary for optimum performance on Intel and
PowerPC-based Macs.

Highlights of the new version include support for Remote Desktop
Protocol 6.0 (giving improved compatibility with Vista as well as
better security), simultaneous connections to multiple Windows PCs,
and support for screen resizing during a session (including switching
between a window and full-screen mode).

An entry in the Microsoft Mac Business Unit blog says "Our new UI
isn't hugely obvious when you first look at the application — the UI
has always been quite minimal, and we've retained that in RDC v2. RDC
v1 uses a disclosure triangle to show you the connection options. In
RDC v2, to be a better Mac citizen, we've moved these options to a
standard Preferences menu. This should improve the discoverability of
many of the features that we've always had built in, such as being
able to view your Mac's hard drive when you're connected to your
Windows computer."

Another significant improvement is that printing is no longer limited
to PostScript printers - version 2.0 can use any printer that has
been set up on the Mac.

Shortcomings of the beta include the absence of help, no support for
Vista's Network Level Authentication, and problems with VPNs and
wireless networks.

The software requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later, and the beta expires
on March 31, 2008.

Glenn Anderson
Client Services, IST
University of Waterloo