[MacTUG] MacBook Pro owner notes on Different Max CPU voltages on 3 samples

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 30 11:32:10 EDT 2006

 From Accelerate Your Mac:

"I'm not an expert on the subject but i thought i'd share some things
i've learned after experimenting with my three 2.16GHz MacBook Pro's.
(apple replacements for various problems)

I noticed that my macbook's have all been set to different max core
voltages (found this out from the windows side). This is definitely
why my first MBP maxed out at 90 degrees (C) and used thermal
throttle until the fans started. My latest MBP has a lower max core
voltage and does not reach 90 even at the start of maxing the CPU's
before fans kick in. I'm guessing that the varying core voltages is
responsible for most of the maximum operating CPU temperature
variation you hear about.

Interestingly, my latest MBP with lower core voltage (btw this does
vary dynamically, but i'm referring to the max core voltage used when
the cpu is running at 2.16GHz) does not overclock (the ATI X1600)
quite as high as the previous one. I think this is to do with the
core voltage being lower, but again i'm not familiar with intel
hardware so i can't be sure. Anyway i've done extensive benchmarking
and thermal throttle monitoring on both machines and found that with
only modest GPU overclocks, the CPU thermal throttle will activate
every few seconds since the system can't get rid of enough heat. For
these tests super pi was used to max the CPU's with half life 2
running windowed in the background. The thermal throttle is damn
annoying, dropping the CPU's every few seconds depending on how high
the GPU is overclocked. (Frame rate drops too!) Note that no throttle
occurs under the same circumstances with GPU set to standard clock.
Again, my MBP with lower core voltage ran cooler and was able to run
with GPU overclocked higher before thermal throttling kicked in.
(Can't remember the numbers, could find out for you though)

It sucks that some people have MBP's running at higher core voltages
where throttling kicks in often; they probably dont even realise it,
but you can check for yourself using either Coreduotemp (requires
speedit kernel extension) or booting into windows and downloading a
system utility monitor. Certainly i now understand why some people
complain of having very hot MBP's whilst others don't.... I think
that the later MBP's probably have lower core voltages, although i
can't really be sure with a sample of only 3.

The higher core voltage MBP (ATI X1600) is stable around 480/550
whilst the lower core voltage one is only stable at 460/535.
As i said, if you are playing a game that maxes the CPU AND the GPU
at them same time you wont see much benefit at all from OC'ing as the
thermal throttle kicks in heavily. The system just cant handle the
heat.

When playing half life 2 at max GPU overclock on my lower core
voltage MBP thermal throttle doesnt activate. It does on the other
MBP, and explains the randomly jumping frame rate i used to see.
Other games (Far Cry) make thermal throttle activate on both and
hence you dont see much benefit from OC'ing. Its made me want to get
a laptop cooler pad with fans. If i could just keep the temps down
slightly i'd be able to benefit from a big overclock which really
helps fps.

(Just for the record I asked if his other MacBook Pro's had the SMC
firmware update applied as the Speedit kernel extension developers
mentioned that update changed CPU voltages (among other things).-Mike)
yes i don't recall the voltage being different before the SMC. i use
rightmark utility tool (in Windows) to view these settings, it gives
current voltage and multiplier settings as well as the max settings
etc.
Anyone with an intel mac could boot into windows and use this program
to view the chip settings, it even lets u turn off thermal throttle
and other things that i don't understand!

(I also asked if he remembered the actual different max voltages
seen. (And not sure how much common variation there would be in max
voltages from sample to sample)-Mike)
I could be wrong but the max voltage doesnt appear to have changed,
it is still 1.250v at 2.16GHZ. This MBP runs at 78degrees C maxed out.
The other MBP runs at approx 84 C when maxed, and has a core voltage
of 1.263v (from memory). Its not much of a difference but it is
noticeable in temperature, and the amount of thermal throttling used.
I used to load up dnetc on the hotter machine, throttling would kick
in noticeable for as long as it took the fans to come on. The newer
machine never throttles in OSX, i've only been able to get it to do
that in windows with GPU OC.
kind regards
Ant"