[MacTUG] Article: MacNN | New flaw crashes Safari, Finder

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 30 15:01:09 EST 2006

"""
A blogger has identified an apparent flaw in the Apple's Mac OS X
graphics display engine, ImageIO, that will crash the company's
Safari Web browser and other system applications, including the
Finder. The flaw [link: warning, will crash Safari], posted by
DrunkenBlog, crashes anything using the Mac OS X ImageIO API
including Finder, Preview, and applications based on Webkit and
WebCore -- Apple JavaScript/HTML display engine for Safari and other
applications. ImageIO reportedly hangs during an EXIF routine, and
images of the specified type are already floating around on the Web
according to the blogger, who comments on Apple's general security
standing. "I haven't met anyone within Apple that's been around
awhile who wouldn't admit over beers that they'd be mighty nervous
dropping OS X as it currently stands into the orgy Windows swims in,
so I'm always amused at what shows up around the Web, and less amused
by the pundits feeding it to them." The report notes that the bug --
which only affects Tiger and won't crash Camino or Firefox -- has
been reported in Apple's system; however, as with most security
issues, Apple has not publicly responded.
"""

<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/03/29/new.flaw.crashes.safari/>