[MacTUG] MacWindows tip: Unix techique for AD login spinning beach ball

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 9 11:31:13 EST 2006

February 9, 2006 -- Fabien Hory uses Unix commands in Terminal to
work around the problem of the spinning beach ball at Active
Directory login:

     I also have sometimes this problem with 10.3.9 machines (not
10.4) and here is how I resolved it (for a while because it comes
back sometimes).

     To unlock the Mac : SSH with root from another machine and kill
the loginwindow process ("ps -aux | grep login" to find the PID and
then "kill -9 this PID").

     Login with the local administrator on the Mac and delete the
com.apple.LaunchServices.6B.csstore file in the /Library/Caches
directory and reboot the Mac.

By "SSH with root from another machine" he means login to the Mac
from another computer. Mac Help describes this (search for "SSH" in
Mac Help).

--
Make it a great day!
Marlon A. Griffith