[ISS4E] ISS4E/CrySP Talk on Privacy, Rajesh Krishna Balan, Apr 24, 2:30pm, DC 1304

S. Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 10 10:02:15 EDT 2014

We will have a combined ISS4E/CrySP Speaker Series on Privacy talk on
April 24. The speaker will be Rajesh Krishna Balan from Singapore
Management University. Please let me know if you'd like to meet with
Rajesh.

thanks
keshav
---------

Title: The LiveLabs Urban LifeStyle Innovation Platform : Opportunities,
Challenges, and Current Results

Thu Apr 24, 2:30-3:30pm, DC 1304

A central question in mobile computing is how do you test mobile
applications, that depend on real context, in real environments with
real users? User studies done in lab environments are frequently
insufficient to understand the real-world interactions between user
context, privacy, environmental factors, application behaviour, and
performance results. I will introduce LiveLabs, a 5 year project that
started at the Singapore Management University in early 2012. The goal
of LiveLabs is to convert four real environments, the entire Singapore
Management University campus, a popular resort island, a large airport,
and a popular shopping mall, into living testbeds where we instrument
both the environment and the cell phones of opted-in participants (drawn
from the student population and members of the public). We can then
provide 3rd party companies, and researchers the opportunity to test
their mobile applications and scenarios on the opted-in participants --
on their real phones in the four real environments described above.
LiveLabs will provide the software necessary to collect network
statistics and any necessary context information. In addition, LiveLabs
will provide software and mechanisms to ensure that privacy, proper
participant selection, resource management, and experimental results and
data are maintained and provided on a need-to-know basis to the
appropriate parties.

I will describe the broad LiveLabs vision and identify the key research
challenges and opportunities. In particular, I will highlight our
current insights into indoor location tracking, dynamic group and queue
detection, privacy, and energy aware context sensing for mobile phones.
I will also share our current status (we have gone live at our
university campus) and some of the non-obvious challenges that arise
from deploying these systems in real environments.

Bio: Rajesh is an associate professor at Singapore Management
University's School of Information Systems. He received his Ph.D. in
computer science from Carnegie Mellon University and has over 15 years
of research experience in the broad area of mobile systems and software.
Some of the diverse areas that he has worked on include infrastructure
support for multiplayer mobile games, improvements to public
transportation networks, understanding and improving the software
development process in outsourced environments, and developing and
testing novel retail-focused mobile applications.

Rajesh is also a director of the new LiveLabs Urban LifeStyle Innovation
Platform. The goal of this platform is to allow mobile applications and
services to be tested with real users on real phones in real-world
environments. Currently, LiveLabs has been deployed at a university
campus with further deployments at an airport, a resort island, and a
large mall planned for the near future. More details about LiveLabs can
be obtained at http://www.livelabs.smu.edu.sg