[ISS4E] Talk by Minghong Lin tomorrow (Wednesday)

Srinivasan Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 12 12:04:55 EST 2013

DATE:  Wednesday, February 13, 2013
TIME:  10:30 AM
LOCATION:  DC 1304

Title: Algorithmic Challenges for Managing the Cloud

Minghong Lin
Computer Science
California Institute of Technology

Abstract:
Cloud computing has emerged as a crucial platform for business and
personal applications. However, the management of the infrastructure
behind the clo ud (i.e. data centers) is far from mature and there
are many algorithmic challenges that remain, such as data management,
capacity management and ener gy management. In this talk I focus
on our recent work on two such challeng es: dynamic provisioning
and geographical load balancing. In both contexts I will present
our new algorithms, which provide significantly improved performance
guarantees when compared with the "standard" approaches using
Receding Horizon Control. Additionally, I will present a case study
of our algorithms for cost-effective geographical load balancing.

Bio:
Minghong Lin is currently a Ph.D. student in Computer Science at
California Institute of Technology. He received the B.S. degree in
Computer Science from University of Science and Technology of China
in 2006 and the M.Phil. degree in Computer Science from the Chinese
University of Hong Kong in 2008. His research interests include
energy efficient computing, online algorithms and nonlinear
optimization. He has received best paper award at IEEE INFOCOM 2011,
IEEE Green Computing conference 2012, and best student paper award
at ACM GREENMETRICS 2011. He has also been awarded the highly
competitive IBM Ph.D. Fellowship and named finalist in Facebook
Fellowship.