[ISS4E] Reminder: Talk by Prof. Marwan Fayed, University of Stirling, Monday Feb 4 at 11:15am in DC 1316

Srinivasan Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 4 10:50:20 EST 2013

Revisiting Failure and Guaranteed Delivery in Position-based Routing

Marwan Fayed
University of Stirling

Monday, Feb 4 11:15AM
DC 1316

Abstract:

Despite its simplicity there exists, as yet, no position-based routing that is suitable for dynamic networks: Existing schemes construct subgraphs or overlays that come at a cost that may be too high. In a network where nodes are mobile, such constructions risk becoming stale before they become stable, potentially invalidating routing decisions.

In this work we are investigating position-based routing for dynamic networks based on left- or right-hand rule (LHR). Traditional solutions to the problem are highly complex. Instead, we have identified the specific causes of failure in LHR in order to target them directly. In our analyses we have identified the unique configuration of nodes that can cause failure. We build on this analysis to suggest that the best way to deal with the configuration may be to ignore it entirely.

Bio:
Marwan Fayed received his MSc from Boston University and his PhD from the University of Ottawa, in 2003 and 2009 respectively, and in between worked at Microsoft as a member of the Core Reliability group. He joined the University of Stirling, UK in 2009 as an assistant professor appointed under the Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance (SICSA) funding scheme. His current research interests lie in wireless communications and algorithms, as well as network measurement and modeling. He has served on the committees of IEEE and ACM conferences. Marwan is the holder of a Best Paper Award (IEEE CCECE 2009) and a member of both the IEEE and ACM.