[ISS4E] CFP GreenMetrics 2014
keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 9 10:26:23 EST 2013
Call For Papers: GreenMetrics 2014 Workshop
Monday June 16, 2014
Austin, Texas, USA
In conjunction with ACM SIGMETRICS 2014
Sponsored by ACM SIGMETRICS
Sustainability is a topic of increasing importance in modern society. The primary objective of this workshop is to explore how improvements to or new uses of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) can improve the environmental, economic and/or social sustainability of ICT systems, networks, and applications and of non-ICT processes (e.g., quantify the reduction in cost or carbon emissions from using tele-presence services instead of travel).
Topics of interest fall broadly into three main areas:
- Designing sustainable ICT: Such work includes research measuring, evaluating, or designing energy efficient systems in data centers, networking and communication protocols, etc.
- ICT for sustainability: Such work includes research proposing new uses of ICT to improve the environmental, economic, and/or social sustainability of non-ICT processes.
- Building a smarter, more sustainable electricity grid: Such work includes research addressing the challenges (both engineering and economic) that come from incorporating increasing penetration of renewable energy into the grid, demand-response techniques, and smart-metering.
This workshop is intended to bring together researchers from the (traditional) SIGMETRICS and Performance communities with researchers and practitioners in the three areas above, to exchange technical ideas and experiences on issues related to sustainability and ICT. The workshop will include a mixture of invited talks and presentations of accepted papers, and will serve as a forum for the SIGMETRICS and Performance communities to apply their techniques to this emerging and important area.
An award will be presented for the best student paper, and we will have an exciting series of keynote talks, including talks by Mor Harchol-Balter (Carnegie Mellon), Alexis Kwasinski (UT Austin), and Karthick Rajamani (IBM Research).
- Monday, April 14, 2014: Paper Submission (Hard deadline)
- Wednesday, April 30, 2014: Author Notification
- Monday, June 2, 2014: Final Versions Due
- Monday, June 16, 2014: Workshop
- Date TBD: Final Versions for PER Due
In order to be inclusive of authors from different communities Greenmetrics will have two options for paper submissions this year. Authors may either submit full papers or extended abstracts. Full papers are allowed to be six double-column pages, while extended abstracts are allowed to be up to three double-column pages. Both types of submissions should be in the standard ACM format, and both types of submissions will be reviewed. While full papers must be either new material or a survey article, extended abstracts may summarize recent submissions to other venues (either conferences or journals). Thus, we hope that authors will submit extended abstracts in order to present recent work from other communities to the Sigmetrics community.
Submissions must be submitted electronically in printable PDF form, via the GreenMetrics 2014 submission site: http://www.sigmetrics.org/greenmetrics/submission.shtml
Submissions will be reviewed by the GreenMetrics program committee, from which a number of papers will be selected for presentation at the workshop. The accepted papers will be published in ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review (PER). Authors of accepted papers grant permission to ACM to publish the paper in PER and the ACM digital library. Authors do retain the copyright of their paper.
- Niklas Carlsson, Linkˆping University (niklas.carlsson at liu.se)
- Nidhi Hegde, Technicolor (nidhi.hegde at technicolor.com)
- Thu Nguyen, Rutgers University (tdnguyen at cs.rutgers.edu)
- Adam Wierman, Caltech (adamw at caltech.edu)
- Tarek Abdelzaher, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Virgilio Almeida, Federal University of Minas Gerais
- Lachlan Andrew, Swinburne University of Technology
- Martin Arlitt, HP Labs
- Eilyan Bitar, Cornell University
- Giuliano Casale, Imperial College
- Abhishek Chandra, University of Minnesota
- Ranveer Chandra, Microsoft Research
- Yuan Chen, HP Labs
- Gyˆrgy Dan, KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Derek Eager, University of Saskatchewan
- Jeff Erman, AT&T Research
- Daniel Gmach, HP Labs
- Laszlo Gyarmati, Telefonica
- Anne Holler, VMware
- Canturk Isci, IBM
- Srinivasan Keshav, University of Waterloo
- Diwakar Krishnamurthy, University of Calgary
- Na Li, MIT/Harvard
- Xue Liu, McGill
- Anirban Mahanti, NICTA
- David Meisner, Facebook
- Arif Merchant, Google
- Lei Rao, General Motors Research Lab
- Catherine Rosenberg, University of Waterloo
- Anand Sivasubramaniam, Pennsylvania State University
- Joel Sommers, Colgate University
- Mustafa Uysal, VMware
- Jia Wang, AT&T Research
More information about the Iss4e