[ISS4E] Talk on July 27th by Dr. Gopal Ramchurn on "Putting the "Smarts" into the Smart Grid"

Srinivasan Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 24 10:02:44 EDT 2012

Dr. Ramchurn wrote the cover article for the April issue of the Communications of the ACM. Let me know if you would like to meet with him, and, if so, what times you will be available.

Please re-distribute this announcement as appropriate.

thanks
keshav

Putting the "Smarts" into the Smart Grid
Friday July 27th, 11:15 AM
DC 1331

Dr. Sarvapali (Gopal) Ramchurn
University of Southampton, UK

Abstract

 Delivery electricity cheaply, sustainably, and securely is one of the greatest challenges faced by many nations. This is set against a backdrop where generating electricity from fossil fuels is becoming more costly (both in environmental and exploitation costs) while ageing infrastructures used to transport electricity are increasingly prone to failures as they need to cope with increasing demand resulting from the electrification of transport and heating/cooling. At the University of Southampton,  we have embarked on a series of projects looking at the use of artificial intelligence to meet some of these challenges. My talk will describe some of the key work and projects that my colleagues and I have been involved in over the last four years and expand on our vision of the smart grid. This will include a discussion of agent-based home energy management, electric vehicle charging management using game theoretic techniques, and network management using distributed optimisation techniques.

Bio

Gopal Ramchurn is a Lecturer in the School of Electronics and Computer Science at the University of Southampton. Following his PhD on agent-based negotiation and trust, he went on to do research on other areas of multi-agent systems including coalition formation, mechanism design, distributed optimisation, and human-agent interaction. More recently, Gopal has been applying agent-based techniques to crowdsourcing, citizen science, and energy systems within the IDEAS and ORCHID projects at Southampton.   During his career, Gopal has published more than 40 articles in prestigious venues including AAAI, AAMAS, AIJ, and JAIR. He won several competitions such as the Iterated Prisoners' Dilemma (the 20th Anniversary competitions in 2004 and 2005) and RoboCupRescue (the Infrastructure competition in 2007) and, more recently the AAMAS best paper award (2010) and was nominated for the best application paper for his work on agent-based demand side management (2011). He also initiated the Optimisation in Multi-Agent Systems workshop series (2008-2011), recently initiated a workshop on Human-Agent Interaction (at AAMAS) and is a reviewer for several conferences and journals.

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/sdr