[FemPhys] QT Science Meetup Tomorrow! & More!

FemPhys UW femphys at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:57:07 EDT 2016

Hi everyone!

We've got a few events coming up from us and some from around campus.

*Queer & Trans Science Meetup *
*Thurs Oct 13  |  12 - 2 pm*
*PHY 104*

All queer and trans peeps in physics, science, or related fields are
invited to a QT meetup! When we held this casual event in the spring term,
we met so many new faces---it might have been one of the best moments of
FemPhys ever to facilitate the meeting of so many new QT friends who could
bond over shared interests and experiences in their studies.

So, bring your lunch and your QT self to hang out, chat, drink tea, and
make friends!!

This is a casual event---come late or leave early as needed.

*FemTalks: What is a fact?*
*Tues Oct 18  |  5 - 6 pm*
*PHY 313*

Facts are a cornerstone of knowledge systems. They inform scientific and
social judgements and goals. But what is a fact? Is it an aspect of capital
T Truth? An objective statement? Does it depend on humans or society? In
this discussion, we’ll share what we know and believe about facts and their
relationship to science and society, and learn a bit about theory of facts
in science and other contexts.

FemTalks are facilitated discussions on topics surrounding science,
identity, philosophy, and justice. Food will be provided.

*Gender Equity Scholarship Series*
*Working my margins, leveraging my privilege: Sexual and Gender Identity
Scholarly Activism*
*Tues Oct 18  |  11:30 - 1*
*MC 5501*

This lecture series is presented by the Faculty Association's Status of
Women and Equity Committee and the advisor to the president on women's and
gender issues.

In this address, Corey Johnson chronicles the evolution of his work
examining power relations in the cultural contexts of leisure. From gay
bars to media consumption to the use of geo-social networking applications,
his scholarship and activism captures the importance of considering
identity politics and intersectionality when working for social justice.

Lunch provided.
Please register <https://fauwaterloo.typeform.com/to/vFVnrw> by October 14.

*Bohm Dialogue*
*Thurs Oct 27  |  6 - 9 pm*
*PHY 308*

Invented by physicist David Bohm, the dialogue has no predefined purpose,
no agenda, other than that of inquiring into the movement of thought, and
exploring the process of "thinking together" collectively.

Come join the experiment!

This event is open to all University and community members. ***WE ASK THAT
YOU COMMIT TO THE WHOLE 3 HOUR TIME BLOCK***. If you are interested, but
have conflicts, please contact us at femphys at gmail.com. Food provided.

For those who want to know a little more about Bohm Dialogue:
http://www.david-bohm.net/dialogue/dialogue_proposal.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm_Dialogue

*Tea & Talk*
*Every Tuesday  |  12 - 1:30 pm*
*PHY 104*

Hang out with the FemPhys community with some warm tea on these cool fall
days.

------

All FemPhys events are held in accessible locations. For accessibility and
dietary concerns, please email femphys at gmail.com.

Thanks for listening <3

Emma McKay
Director of Social Events