[FemPhys] Open house, general meeting, and Chanda!!

Emma McKay emma.m.mckay at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:15:25 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Welcome back! This Fall term is going to be stellar, and FemPhys is off to
a stellar start. We have three cool things happening next week!

*Open House*
*Physics Lobby (101) *
*Tues Sept 20 -- 12 - 2 pm*
Come on in!! See what FemPhys is about in a chill social environment. We'll
have tea, snacks, stickers, and lots of laughs. Learn about the club's
goals, past and future events, what it's like to be an exec or a volunteer,
and who is involved (i.e. who could be your future friend)! Bring your
lunch, a friend, questions, and an open mind.

This event will be casually structured, so please come whenever you like.
Snacks and tea will be provided.

*Chanda Prescod-Weinstein: Let Physics be the Dream it Used to Be*
*Humanities Theatre in Hagey Hall*
*Tues Sept 20 -- 7 - 9 pm*
We are so so excited to have Chanda here in Waterloo! Chanda is a physicist
that FemPhys has wanted to invite for a long time, and WPIRG made it
happen. This lecture is co-hosted with BASE
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/UWBASE/> and WPIRG <http://wpirg.org>.
Keep an eye out for a discussion later about some of Chanda's work
<https://medium.com/@chanda>.

Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein is a Research Associate in Physics at the
University of Washington, Seattle. Prescod-Weinstein is a passionate
advocate for racial and gender diversity in STEM and will be sharing her
stories about her efforts in this area.

*General Meeting*
*PHY 308*
*Thurs Sept 22 -- 5 - 6pm*
We're gonna talk about how this fall will be stellar at the general
meeting, including what events people want, schedule, discussion topics,
and more. Think you wanna get involved? Sign up to be involved as an exec
or a low-time commitment volunteer. We'll vote on the exec at this meeting.
All new execs and volunteers will have informal training so our new peeps
feel comfortable and welcome in their brand new roles!
Snacks will be provided.

Everyone is welcome to all of these events--all genders and faculties!!
These venues are all accessible. Please email femphys at gmail.com for
accessibility and dietary concerns.

So excited to see y'all there, and for the rest of this killer term ♥

Emma McKay
FemPhys Rep