[Female-math-faculty] WiM Speed Mentoring for Graduate Students, Postdoctoral fellows and Faculty

Ghazal Geshnizjani ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 15 10:35:19 EST 2019

Dear WiM faculty,
We are planning to organize a speed mentoring event sometime in last two
weeks of March. The participants will be WiM faculty, postdoctoral fellows
and graduate students.
If you are not familiar with speed mentoring, it's basically a series of
short, focused conversations about specific questions. Mentors will meet
with a limited number of mentees in 10 to15 minute time slots each.
When directed, mentees will proceed to their mentor’s table. At the start
and end of each Speed Mentoring round, a bell will ring or an announcement
is made. Mentees will then proceed to the next mentor table.
Of course we will put our own twists on the event to meet the needs of our
participants.
Our goal is to invite external mentors as well as internal. For example, a
mentor for a graduate student could be a senior graduate student, a
postdoc, a faculty or someone who is established in industry.
On the other hand depending on participation, we could arrange sessions for
senior faculties and junior faculties to have a mentoring sessions as well.
Before we proceed with further planning, I need your help with few things.
First, to maximize the participation we are trying to find the best time
that suits most people. Please express you availability through this link:
Choose times and dates that work better for you
<https://www.meetingbird.com/p/SyiKfF9GE>
Second, please express your intrest for being a mentor for this event.
Last, we are also organizing another speed mentoring event for WiM
undergrads on March 5th, 5:30 to 7:30pm. Please let me know if you would
like to be a mentor for that event.

best regards,
 Ghazal

-----------------------------
Ghazal Geshnizjani
Research Associate Professor
Women in Math Committee Chair <https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/>
Department of Applied Mathematics
<https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-mathematics/>
Waterloo Centre for Astrophysics <https://uwaterloo.ca/astrophysics-centre/>

University of Waterloo, Office: MC 6449   Email: ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Phone: 519 888 4567 X 39146

Affiliate and PSI Fellow,  Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics
<http://pitp.ca/>