[Female-math-faculty] Today! 4pm, Women in Math Lecture

Barbara F. Csima csima at math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 7 08:35:48 EDT 2011

Dear Women in Math,

This term's Women in Math Lecture will be at 4pm in MC 5158. The
Speaker is Zeny Feng, a UW alumnus (MMath 2000, PhD 2005). Arrive a
few minutes early for a chance to chat with Zeny!

Speaker: Zeny Feng, University of Guelph
Title: Simultaneous genetic association test on multiple traits

Abstract: A novel generalized quasi-likelihood scoring (GQLS) method
is proposed to test the association between a genetic marker and a
trait. The GQLS method accommodates the situation with samples of
related subjects, and is flexible to test on both binary trait and
quantitative trait. It can be also extended to solve the problem when
sample is collected from multiple sub-populations. To date, methods in
the area of genetic association studies have focused on the test of a
single trait at a time. When a large number of markers are tested for
association with multiple traits, controlling the overall type I error
when testing traits independently becomes an issue. On the other hand,
it is of great interest to identify common genetic factors that are
associated with one or more than one traits. Based on our GQLS method,
we develop a new method named quasi-likelihood scoring approach for
multiple traits (QLSM). Simulation studies are used to validate the
type I error and assess the power. Our methods will be applied to
analyze real data on Canadian Holstein Cattle.

--
Barbara F. Csima
Associate Professor

Phone: (519) 888-4567 Ext. 37596