[Female-math-faculty] TODAY - WiM Fall Speaker

Fiona Dunbar fesdunbar at math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 18 08:31:36 EST 2008

Dr. Monica Cojocaru
Tuesday, November 18 3:30-4:30
MC 2066

CAN MATHEMATICS ANSWER REAL-LIFE CHALLENGES?
FROM VACCINATION TO ENVIRONMENTAL CHOICES VIA OPERATIONS RESEARCH
Abstract:

In this talk we want to give a feel for using some of the mathematics
of operations research (theory and computational aspects) in assessing
two very different, but very timely, questions we face in the course
of our lives. We present how game theory, network problems and
dynamical systems come together, in various ways, in the study of
competitive behaviour among population groups or individuals.

In the first part of the talk, I will present a few investigations
into vaccination games in a heterogeneous population (the vaccination
is that against pediatric diseases), and how dynamic games of this
kind can be studied with variational analysis tools.

In the second part of the talk I will present very recent work on
environmental policy implementation, using again a dynamic game
theoretic approach. Finally I will close with a few insights on other
types of investigations related to social networks and individuals'
interactions vis-a-vis of the spread of new eco-products among a
population.