[Faccus] Matlab classroom license server has moved to IST

Stephen Carr smcarr at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 12 15:21:35 EDT 2017

Hello,
Late last term, the license server that serves the classroom site license for Matlab was moved from Engineering to IST. The old server in Engineering, ecserv20.uwaterloo.ca, is scheduled to be decommissioned. Please ensure the license files on your teaching workstations or servers that provide access to Matlab are pointing to cname matlabteachingls.uwaterloo.ca. This will ensure that they will reach the currently active campus license server.

Ecserv20 continues to operate in parallel with the new server, and has served licenses to around 100 different computers in the month of September so far. Those computers in particular, in the attached file, need attention. Some of them are obviously computer lab workstations, and some are not in DNS. Some of the computers listed may be using the wrong license and should be pointing to the research license server instead. Users would then have to subscribe to our research license through the IST Webstore in order to use Matlab. In future, we may be taking measures to restrict access to the Matlab teaching license server to workstations in a security group.

We will be monitoring the logs on ecserv20 over the next couple of weeks, in anticipation of shutting down that server by the end of September. Thanks for your co-operation during this change, to avoid inadvertent loss of access to student labs.

Stephen Carr                                    Ph. 519-888-4567 x36444
Consultant, IST-Client Services             200 University Ave. W.
Liaison to Faculty of Engineering                         Waterloo, ON
University of Waterloo                                                 N2L 3G1