[Faccus] Launch of new Exchange/Connect email protection service – February 28
darren.bondy at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 16 09:54:36 EST 2017
What is happening? IST is implementing a new email security service called Proofpoint Protection Server (PPS), which delivers gateway messaging security with on-site and cloud components, blocking spam, phishing attempts, and malware. PPS can only be used on Connect accounts.
When is this happening? Tuesday, February 28 at 10:00 a.m.
What is the impact? Email received will now be filtered by PPS. Outbound email filtering will be investigated at a future date.
How does the tool work?
* Email messages with security concerns (e.g. spam, phishing attempts, malware) will be identified and placed in quarantine.
* Regular users will be able to see messages that have been quarantined, if they were classified as spam or phishing. They will also receive a daily email report listing any quarantined messages.
* This report will be sent at approximately 7:00 a.m. each morning.
* Users will be able to check the quarantine area for messages at any time either by clicking the link included at the bottom of each report, or by visiting https://quarantine.uwaterloo.ca.
* If a message was classified as malware, the user will need assistance from their IT computing rep or the IST Service Desk (admin users) in order to release the message from quarantine.
* Users will not know that a malware message has been quarantined.
* Admin users can track and review emails users feel have been falsely identified as malware, and release the message.
Known issues: When an email is "released" from spam/phishing quarantine, the Received headers are altered so that mail clients will display the date it was released as "date received", rather than the date the mail was originally received by PPS. Most mail clients have the capability to also display "date sent," which can be used if users are having difficulty finding released emails in their inbox.
Additional resources: Please see the Email security resources page for more information on the PPS filtering service:
Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca> or ext. 44357.
Recipients of this message: isthd, ist-staff, admin-support, faccus, ctsc, sec-wg
Information Systems and Technology
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Faccus