[Faccus] Important change to IST-managed Comsol Multiphysics research license
smcarr at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 10 16:13:54 EST 2017
This message is being sent to researchers who have previously subscribed to the Comsol Multiphysics software site license supported by Information Systems and Technology (IST). Software sold through the Webstore works on a break even model, and the Comsol research site license has never generated cost recovery. Unfortunately, subscriber support for this license has continued to diminish and IST can no longer justify maintaining this software at a yearly loss. This change affects fewer than twenty users and computers on campus.
Please be advised of the following:
* Sales of Comsol Multiphysics through the IST Webstore have been suspended effective Jan. 1, 2017.
* Subscribers to the site license in 2016 will continue to have access to it until April 30, 2017.
* Researchers who need access to Comsol Multiphysics beyond April 30 may contact a third-party distributor. CMC Microsystems (http://www.cmc.ca/) is a distributer used by a number of UW researchers.
* IST's site license (up for renewal April 30, 2017) can be transferred to an interested research group. This license has a number of base system and add-on licenses that are currently under yearly maintenance (access to updates, at 20% of current academic cost), or are eligible to be put back under maintenance. Therefore, the number of concurrent licenses provided could be adjusted to suit just the needs of a particular research area at an economical price. Any research group that takes this on would have to run its own license server and do its own cost recovery (if desired) to support the license. If interested, please contact Steve Carr, IST Client Services, before April 1. If there is no interest in maintaining a local site license, it will be allowed to expire on the renewal date, and the advantage of having a number of licenses already under maintenance will be lost.
* Please contact Steve Carr<mailto:smcarr at uwaterloo.ca> if you have any questions.
Information Systems and Technology/Account Rep. for Engineering
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Faccus