[Faccus] University of Waterloo listed on spam blacklist– October 19

Darren Bondy darren.bondy at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 19 09:50:38 EDT 2016

What is happening? The University of Waterloo has been placed on the BACKSCATTER email blacklist. This is in addition to the Spam Eating Monkey (SEM) BACKSCATTER blacklist. Services using this blacklist may block email from University of Waterloo email addresses. Emails could go through but be marked as spam and placed in the recipients’ junk folder. IST is investigating a way to be removed from the blacklist.

What is the impact? It is unclear what services use this email blacklisting service. IST is aware that emails sent from University of Waterloo email addresses are being blocked by Hotmail/Live accounts, however it has not been confirmed that they are using this email blacklist service.

How will I know if my message has been rejected or delayed? 4 hours after the email message has been sent, users will receive an email informing them that their message has been delayed. If after 24 hours the message has not been delivered, our server will stop attempting to deliver it and will send a message to the user telling them that it has given up.

Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca>, ext. 44357.

Recipients of this message:  isthd, faccus, ist-staff, ctsc, admin-support, ucist, SSO

Darren Bondy
Information Systems and Technology
(519)888-4567 x49525
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON