[Faccus] memo to instructors regarding changes to the learning environment for the fall term

Andrea Chappell chappell at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 31 15:38:22 EDT 2016

Hello all,
We've prepared the memo to instructors to tell them of changes to the learning environments for the start of fall term. I will ask University Communications to send it to all instructors on Thursday.

The significant changes (see memo for more details):

*         All Registrar-scheduled e-classroom podiums now use electronic fobs, not keys. The memo includes instructions on how to get and renew a fob for the term. Also, a plea for them to return keys (Key Control needs those back)!

*         11 new e-classrooms in HH, along with other room technology upgrades.

*         Overhead transparency projectors are being removed from most rooms, after warnings in the two previous term memos. There has been very little reaction to the warnings. If someone still relies upon that type of projector, it can be loaned in the room for the term.

I commend the ITMS Presentation Services group, in particular, for their efforts in making the e-classroom upgrades, additions, and other changes happen. There are few windows of opportunity for them to do this work, as the classrooms are almost always busy. They are typically "last in" during room overhauls that may include Plant Ops and external contractors. They do an amazing job under those constraints, often putting in lots of overtime. Kudos to the team!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.
Cheers,