[Faccus] Undergraduate student cloud email domain change response - March 24

Natasha Jennings njennings at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 24 09:01:35 EDT 2016

Good morning,

The following message will appear in today's Daily Bulletin.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to ask questions and provide feedback/suggestions regarding the planned undergraduate student email domain name change. Information Systems & Technology (IST) will be carefully reviewing these comments over the next week.

We recognize that students have become accustomed to their current address, have shared it widely with friends, colleagues, and employers, and have used it to register for a variety of services. The proposed 18 month grace period, where email would be forwarded from existing @uwaterloo.ca student addresses to their new address, is a concern for many students. IST has flexibility in setting the length of this grace period. After considering your suggestions regarding the proposed timeline, reviewing our project plan, and consulting with service staff, we intend to extend the grace period as follows:

*         All existing undergraduate students will continue to receive mail sent to their @uwaterloo.ca address throughout the duration of their undergraduate career, plus one year after the last day of the last academic term registered.

*         Students beginning their undergraduate career in September 2017 will send and receive email from the new domain name.

*         All existing Alumni will continue to receive mail sent to their @uwaterloo.ca<http://uwaterloo.ca/> address for a period of time yet to be determined, in consultation with Alumni Relations.

We understand that many students are interested in the motivation to move undergraduate email to a different domain name, separate from University employees. Much of the concern expressed relates to the potential loss of affiliation to the University, currently provided by the uwaterloo.ca domain name. The use of a subdomain (e.g. @student.uwaterloo.ca) will maintain the University affiliation while allowing us to address the technical, security and performance concerns that exist. Additional information on the motivations behind this change will be provided in a future update.

The next important step in this process is selecting the name for the new domain. IST will continue to receive and consider your suggestions until March 29 (https://uwaterloo.ca/information-systems-technology/undergraduate-student-cloud-email-domain-name-change), at which point a short list of possible names will be put together and shared with the student community. We will then ask you to vote on the preferred domain name. Information on this process will be shared over the coming weeks.

We thank you again for being engaged in this process and look forward to working with you as we transition to the cloud based email system.

Natasha Jennings
Communications Officer
Information Systems & Technology (IST)
University of Waterloo