Bob Hicks bjhicks at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 10 10:24:54 EST 2014

Topic:      Machine Room Disasters: Lessons Learned
Date:       Friday November 14, 2014
Time:       9:00 am - 9:45 am
Room:       MC 2009
Speaker:    Lawrence Folland, Computer Science

On July 8, 2014 disaster struck in our High Performance Computing machine room - the sprinklers activated spraying grungy water all over a room full of running computers!  This is the tale of what we found in the aftermath, the forensic process of determining what caused the sprinklers to go off, how we dealt with the equipment, are we insured and, if so, for how much?  What is the process of claiming losses, salvaging and restoration of equipment, purchasing and rebuilding the machine room.  How do we prevent this in the future or, at least, minimize the chances of it happening again.  What about our other machine rooms?  What about YOUR machine rooms?  This has definitely been a learning experience - one that I do not wish on anybody!  I'll share what we've learned along the way and where we are in the process.

This seminar will be webcasted/recorded.<http://juno.uwaterloo.ca/fridayist>  Please note that you can ask questions while watching the webcast (there is a link on the page).

Email: bob.hicks at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:bob.hicks at uwaterloo.ca>
Phone: 519-888-4567, x32194