[Faccus] Email forgery prevention is being implemented on mailservices – November 18

Heather Wey hawey at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 6 10:28:02 EST 2014

What is happening? Changes to the processing of email are being implemented to help prevent email forgery of uwaterloo.ca email addresses. A small number of mailservices users will need to change their email settings. Connect users do not need to make any changes.

When is this happening? November 18 at 10:00 am

Why is this happening? This change is being initiated by our Information Security Services team as part of an email security roadmap.

Which mailservices users will be affected? Most people are using the correct settings and we are proactively identifying who will be affected. Users may receive email from Giles Malet if we identify that their configuration will not work after November 18. Configurations with a custom from address or that do not login to the mail server before sending will no longer work.

What do mailservices users need to do?  If using an email client (Thunderbird, Outlook, iPhone and other mobile devices, etc.) mailservices users can change their email settings before November 18 using instructions on https://uwaterloo.ca/ist/services/email/mailservices/set-up.

Questions/concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk (CHIP), helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca> or ext 84357.

Recipients of this message: isthd, faccus, ist-staff

Heather Wey
IST Communications