[Faccus] [CTSC] Computer counts (computer labs and common areas available for students' use - Main campus)

Bill Ince wcwince at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 25 14:20:55 EDT 2014

  | From: Andrea Chappell <chappell at uwaterloo.ca>
  | To: faccus at lists.uwaterloo.ca,
  |         "ctsc at lists.uwaterloo.ca" <ctsc at lists.uwaterloo.ca>
  | Subject: [CTSC] Computer counts (computer labs and common areas available
  |  for students' use - Main campus)
  | Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:18:32 -0400
  |
  | Hello,
  | I've been asked to provide a count of the "number of computers on campus
  | in computer labs and common areas available for students' use - Main
  | campus only." The request comes from IAP, and is data towards a ranking
  | system called QS Stars.
  |
  | If you have this data, for your Faculty, or the Library, or other areas
  | (kiosks), could you please provide it to me, as soon as possible?
  | Also, if you have this computer total already for some (lucky for me
  | :-)  reason, I'd love to have it.
  |
  | Thanks for your help!
  | Andrea

The good news is that we have teaching lab counts in:
  https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/cscf/teaching/labs
The bad news (that I've just added to the page) is:
  To use the lab machines requires either being registered in a CS
  course, or registered as a Math Faculty undergraduate student. Others
  will not be able to use the machines. The labs do not use Nexus.
so the CS labs might not earn as many points in the QS Stars system
(http://www.topuniversities.com/qs-stars/qs-stars-methodology)

Hmmm, they give U of Guelph 5 stars!
And that appears twince in the table.
And Western gets 5 stars too.
Waterloo doesn't appear to be rated, which is
perhaps the problem they're trying to solve.