[Faccus] SERVICE ALERT - 2014-04-17 Lync - Maintenance - Load Balancer Consolidation and Update

Paul Dietrich p2dietrich at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 14 15:47:00 EDT 2014

Date: (YYYY-MM-DD)     2014-04-17

Start Time:              08:00

End Time:

Impact:           May have brief outage while new configuration is loaded

Resolution:

Submitted By: p2dietri at uwaterloo.ca

Comment:        We will be making a change to the Hardware Load Balancer configuration for the Lync environment as a result of the farm count growing really high.  What we will be doing is consolidating web farms that provide service to a single port to various services into a single farm balancing all ports within that service.  This will help in the long term maintenance and troubleshooting of the load balancer configuration if required.

At this time we will also be adding in load balancing for the UDP protocol that is used for voice traffic.  Currently we are using TCP, but the preferred method is UDP for the best performance.  This will also allow us to use additional tools to help users gauge their calling experience from outside the University prior to making any calls.

If there are any issues once the configuration has been loaded, we will be able to roll back to the old configuration.

Notice Submitted:    Mon Apr 14 15:47:00 EDT 2014

Follow us on twitter https://twitter.com/UWNetworkAlert

Note:   If you have any questions or concerns please contact the IST Service Desk (CHIP) at ext: 84357 or helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca